.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

soaring with the eagle

This afternoon marked both Dad's birthday and  our family gathering to pay tribute to him.  Our group of four sat graveside to remember Dad. It was in keeping with Dad's wishes that this been small and private.   A large spray of yellow flowers  was placed on a nearby table.  On the smaller table, Dad's urn, a photo of him and mementos to be placed in the vault.

We were lucky to have a dry day but my goodness it was cold.  It seemed appropriate to stay seated (and keep warm).  I had prepared a tribute to read and actually manged to get through most of it just fine.  Laurie, Vanessa and Kevin also spoke.  We then had a toast to Dad (one of his favorite's, Green Tea ginger ale).  We had selected three of Dad's favorite songs to play and at the end of the last song the eagle flew over low then headed north.  It was a fitting sight.

The day was as it should be, we remember you, Don Williams.  You are loved and missed.  We are thankful that you are with Mom and setting your course to sail the heavens together.

And for those of us left behind, we will continue your legacy.  

9 comments:

Pam in IL said...

Thinking of you and keeping you and your family in my prayers.

kath001 said...

I'm sure it wasn't an easy day, but it sounded like a nice memorial, and good that you could follow his wishes. I went back to some older posts and had a good look at his photo and your mother's. They both had such wonderful smiles, and looking at the photos, I got the feeling they shared those smiles with others often. Peace and blessings to you in the days ahead.

Julia said...

May he rest in peace. The eagle is a fitting tribute.
Hugs
JB

cucki said...

Lots of prayers from my heart for sweet dad.

September Violets said...

A lovely way to pay tribute to your dear Dad. I'm glad you had a nice day for his final goodbye. There's something special about birds entering into the ceremony. For my mother there was a huge gathering of birds that she loved just along the treeline beside her grave ... cardinals, blue jays, goldfinches. Take care Debbie,
Wendy xox

KimM said...

Oh, Debbie, I understand how you feel. What a wonderful way to remember your dad. He will always be in your heart and never far away. Someone told me once that when we grieve deeply, it's because we've loved deeply. My heartfelt love and hugs to you and your family.
xxx

Sheila said...

So sorry for your loss , I lost my Dad three years ago and therefore know how you are feeling. Hugs sheila

jocondine said...

So sorry, I think of you and family. Hugs

Meari said...

My Dad was adamant about not making a big to-do for his funeral, too.

Sounds like you had a nice memorial for yours. ((hugs))